- Keep to the left, pass on the right
- Cyclists give way to walkers
- Take your rubbish with you
- Protect plants, animals, streams and lakes
Dogs on the Trail
Dogs are permitted in some sections.
We ask that the dog walker is considerate of the other trial users, and ensures the dog is under control at all times.
Dog are permitted except for the except in the following areas:
- Between the Macadamia Orchard (Horeke Rd) through Mangataraire Roads. This is a 12.5km section of trail. (Okaihau to Horeke)
- There are a number parcels of land adjacent to Horeke Road managed under the Utakura No. 7 Inc. which prohibit dogs and horses. (Okaihau to Horeke)
- The section of cycle trail which comes off Ngapipito Road (Moerewa) and navigates to the suspension bridges also prohibits dogs. (Kawakawa to Kaikohe)
- The section of cycle trail which comes off Ngapipito Road (Moerewa) and navigates to the suspension bridges also prohibits dogs.
Horses are not permitted without a Council consent
Cyclists must wear a cycle helmet
Be careful of vehicles at road crossings
Keep to the trail and don’t trespass on private land
Keep to the trail and do not cycle on the railway line
Try not to disturb animals grazing on or near the trail
No motorbikes or vehicles are allowed
Light no fires
Take no firearms
Advise others where you’re going
Report all hazards to Far North District Council on freephone 0800 920029
Important – Don’t forget to lock your bike!
Your contribution counts
Put Your Business on the Map