OPUA TO KAWAKAWA
Opua to KawakawaTrail Status – 1 Alert: Akeake Tunnel closed due to unstable brickwork overhead – Please follow signs for detour. Distance – 11km Grade – 1 easy
- Opua – beautiful marina
- Cycling next to the water – marina views, mangrove, estuary and crossing rivers
- AkeAke tunnel
- Taumarere Long Bridge
- Taumarere Railway Station – toilet and picnic spot
- Hundertwasser architecture at the toilets in Kawakawa
- Te Hononga Kawakawa
- You can ride the trail in both directions. The two most popular options are riding from east to west (Opua to Horeke) or downhill in both directions from the centre of the trail which is located in Kaikohe.
- Starting in Opua this section is unique in that some of it is disused rail corridor that you are cycling along or through as there is a train tunnel. Share the trail with vintage trains from the Bay of Islands Vintage Railway. You may take bikes aboard the trains between Taumarere and Kawakawa Stations. It is a very easy ride with stunning water views.
- Opua is a bustling commercial port with a large marina and boatyard. It is the first port for oversea yachts arriving in NZ after crossing the Pacific Ocean. Opua also has the car ferry from Russell.
- The cycle trail starts at the end of Baffin Street, Opua.
- Your Destination Kawakawa is a vibrant rural town with some big tourist attractions.
- The perfect toilet stop in Kawakawa is Hundertwasser toilets. There are cafes, a small supermarket, museum, art gallery and plenty of craft and gift shops.
- Visit Te Hononga, a Hundertwasser inspired community Hub.
- The vintage trains also travel along the main street, the only place in NZ where this happens.
- Keep to the trail and do not cycle on the railway line
- On the trail – One toilet at Taumarere train station
- Flat, easy, scenic cycling
- Parking, toilets and food at both Opua and Kawakawa
- For 3 km from Taumarere station to Kawakawa you will share the trail with the train please make sure you do not ride on the tracks.
- 3 km from Taumarere station to Kawakawa – You can also experience a steam train ride – the train is specially set up for cyclist and bikes and welcome you aboard. Train timetable and costs. http://www.bayofislandsvintagerailway.org.nz/
- Baffin St carpark at the entrance to cycle trail
- United Kawakawa Rugby /Netball Club – 7km from Opua and 4km from Kawakawa
- Johnson Park, Kawakawa
- Kawakawa Railway Station, Gillies Street
- In the public car park opposite the Star Hotel (access from Old Whangae Rd)
BECOME A PARTNER
Put Your Business on the MapTELL ME MORE