Five minutes’ walk from the wharf at Russell, distinctly French in style built in 1842 and set in award winning gardens, originally housed a printery where Church texts were translated to te reo Māori, then printed and bound.
See and Do
New Zealand’s second oldest building, the Te Waimate Mission preserves missionary, farming and architectural history, as well as stories of important early encounters between Maori and Europeans. Through its history, the property has been host to Charles Darwin, was the location of the Second signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, and was occupied by hundreds of British soldiers during the Northern Land Wars.
Clendon House was once home to James Reddy Clendon, a ship owner and trader who was in the thick of the earliest Maori and Pakeha interactions. James was a witness to the New Zealand Declaration of Independence, the Treaty of Waitangi, and was the first United States Consul. When he died, his wife Jane was left with little money and huge debts and you can follow her storey at Clendon house as she worked to save the house, pay off her debts and educate her children.