Te Rito Marae is a warm welcoming marae located right on the Pou Herenga Tai Twin Coast Cycle Trail, approximately 2km from Moerewa township, we are surrounded by beautiful Northland countryside.
We have several options available for accommodation
- An authentic cultural experience that is for groups.
- Accommodation for individuals or smaller groups.
- Campervan parking
- School groups (please request information)
Accommodation for individuals, couples, families or smaller groups
With individuals or smaller groups, you will sleep in marae style sleeping arrangements so you may be sharing with other people who are staying the night, much like a dorm experience in a hostel. The beds are clean mattresses on the floor. Pillows and fresh linen are provided.
- The cost per person is $25.
- You can bring your own food to cook.
- Breakfast is an extra $10.
- If you would like to have a meal cooked for you, the price will depend on how many people they are cooking for – and dinner much be booked at least a week in advance.
- The kitchen and dining area is clean and spacious and a lovely place to sit and eat a meal in.
Parking is in the carpark, right by the marae. It is $20 per campervan, must be self contained. No power.
Authentic Cultural Experience for Groups – 12 and over
Te Rito Marae provides an intimate and authentic cultural experience specific to our Hapū. You will be welcomed on to our marae with a pōwhiri by whanau (family) and, during your time with us, learn about our history, our place and our people through evocative stories.
Located right on the Pou Herenga Tai Twin Coast Cycle Trail, approximately 2km from Moerewa township, we are surrounded by beautiful Northland countryside. While you’re here, you can also swim in the nearby river or enjoy one of bush walks around the marae. It’s a wonderful setting to relax in.
Sleeping arrangments are marae-style in our Whare Tipuna (ancestral house), kai (food) will be prepared for you by our whanau in our whare kai (dining room), wheer we will eat together.
Arrive as manuhiri (guests), leave as whanau (family).
What your overnight stay will look like;
Powhiri – Māori welcome ceremony
Light afternoon tea
Marae accommodation – Marae-style communal sleeping in the meeting house on mattresses lined against the walls. Pillows and fresh linen are provided.
Option 1:an authentic and tasty New Zealand Māori boil-up, followed by our popular steamed pudding for dessert.
The New Zealand Māori boil-up is another creation of the Polynesians who first migrated to and settled New Zealand. It’s full of flavorsome meat and veggies, such as are kumara (sweet potato), watercress, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage.
Option 2: roast chicken, potatoes and seasonal vegetables or salad.
Note: Vegetarians and other dietary requirements can be catered for with advance notice..
Breakfast – continental breakfast
Whakawātea – farewell
Adult – $105 per person
Child (5 – 15 yrs) – $70 per person
Child (3 – 5 years) – $35 per person
Under 3 – no charge
Lunches – can be made for the following day to take cycling – $15 per person
Please inquire about group booking price for over 25 guests.
Steph (Northland) – I was welcomed onto the marae and at once felt at home, this is a family run Marae and is just so beautiful and non-commercialized. The food and hospitality was amazing, and it is a truly beautiful setting to relax in. As a kiwi I have had many cultural experiences and I think each one is different, this really stuck in my mind for its authenticity and the incredible feeling of being “made to feel at home” on the marae. Plus you can’t beat the food – delicious!!
Important notes for Group Cultural Marae Stay;
- Minimum number for a group is 12 people
- Minimum number of adults in a group is 6 adults
- Rates are in NZD, and inclusive of 15% GST.
- Deposits and payment
- On booking a 50% deposit is required in order to confirm your group booking.
- The remaining 50% is due no later than 7 days out from your booking.
- Because a set menu is involved you will be charged for the number of guests quoted on the date your booking is confirmed, even though all guests may not attend i.e. 10 guests confirmed and 7 arrive you will be charged for 10 people.
- Cancellation policy
- Full refund if cancelled 14 days prior to arrival date
- 50% refund if cancelled between 14 days and up to 7 days prior to arrival date
- No refund if cancelled 7 days or less prior to arrival date